Sunday, July 27, 2008

Kinokuniya....my favourite bookstore

I visited the Tokyo branch of Kinokuniya several times on my last visit to Tokyo because there are only so many bags of books you can carry on the train back to your hotel. They have the best collection of Japanese craft books in the city. Take the elevator to 2F for craft books and walk to the back wall. Be prepared to pull out all the books since the titles are almost always in Japanese and I have a trick of half pulling out several books at a time to check covers then push them back and move along the shelf....this is why you need time here. When you're done take the elevator to 3F for magazines like Cotton Time and Cotton Friend which are located in the back right corner of the store!


You'll find Kinokuniya in Shinjuku and its open everyday 10am-8pm....perfect for some after dinner shopping. Take the South exit and walk towards Takashiyama, walk behind Tokyu Hands and its there straight ahead of you via the walkway.....and this is how they wrap your bags in the rain...practical and cute.

4 comments:

Rusty said...

I agree. I just came back from Tokyo and when I went to Kinokuniya I spent hours there looking at all the books, especially the craft ones!

eleen said...

I'm so jealous! One of my favorite things is to visit Kinokuniya here in California when I'm either in San Francisco or down in San Jose. I can only imagine how awesome the Tokyo one must be. Sigh...

Its_Lily said...

Is it possible to buy Cotton Times and Cotton Friend at the airport? I have a 4 hour layover in Tokyo in October and I would love to come home with these.

chicchicbaby said...

I'm a loyal fan of Kinokuniya and I am blessed to be working in the same building where Kinokuniya Singapore is located. I pop in there almost everyday, their craft books...drools.